31.12.09

Famous Last Words





one of the real upsides of fame
is that when your time of dying comes,
there often seems to be someone
around to write down 

your last words...




"What is the question?"
Gertrude Stein, writer



"Why not? Why not? Why not? Why not? Yeah."
Timothy Leary, gadfly



"I'm tired. "
Ava Gardner, actress



"Whose house is this?
What street are we in?
Why did you bring me here?"
William Cullen Bryant, poet



"It's been a long time
since I've had champagne."
Anton Chekhov, writer



"I should never have switched
from Scotch to Martinis."
Humphrey Bogart, actor



"Codeine . . . bourbon."
Tallulah Bankhead, actress



"How were the receipts today
at Madison Square Garden?"
P. T. Barnum, impressario


"Josephine..."
Napoleon Bonaparte, emperor


"I am still alive!"
Caligula, emperor
(when stabbed by his own guards)



"I've never felt better."
Douglas Fairbanks, Sr., actor


"Well, we fooled 'em for a long time, didn't we?"
William Henry "Zip the Pinhead" Johnson, carnie


"The sun is God."
 J. M. W. Turner, painter
 





-30-

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: